York Food Festival Accessibility Guide
York Food Festival is committed to ensuring that everyone can participate, with access requirements in place to support additional needs.
City Centre Disabled Access
York Food Festival is located on Parliament Street and St Samsons Square in the heart of the city. York City Centre is fully accessible to residents and visitors.
Further information from the City of York council can be found on their Disabled Access Page
York Food Festival
To assist pre planning to the event and what to expect when you arrive, the festival has the following in place:
– All of our activity areas are wheelchair accessible
– The festival layout ensures wide walkways and escape routes across the site to help with crowd movement and reduced crowd density.
– The majority of stalls are housed in marquees with open fronts for serving, accessible for wheelchair users.
– Signage will be large, clear and positioned in suitable locations.
– Event staff and Security have been briefed to signpost/assist members of the public where possible.
– Lighting on site features a combination of street lighting, festoon lighting, and stall lighting. There will be no strobe lighting on site.
– The festival can make arrangements for disabled visitors to have space/seats in activity areas. Speak to the information point during the festival or contact us on email@example.com
– Designated Quiet Periods: We understand that York Food Festival can be a busy event at peak times which can be overwhelming to some attendees.
Midweek and weekend mornings are always the quieter times during the festival.
Our demonstration area due to the seated layout, enclosed marquee, and performance is always a quieter haven during the peak times.
During the daytime on all days of the festival music will be at a minimal level.
(During the evening we have two live music options – The Entertainment Marquee and St Sampsons Hub. If you wish to partake in this activity, St Sampsons Hub is the quieter alternative with only singer songwriter performances).
Accessible Toilet Provision
Our main September festival will have portable toilets at both bar areas – Entertainment Marquee between Halifax and Barclays, and St Sampsons Hub. A Disables access portable toilet will be situated on St Sampsons Square.
The closest CYC provided toilets can be found on Silver St, approx 40m from the market.
For further information visit Public toilets in York – City of York Council
Public toilets in York are cleaned and maintained by Healthmatic and you can report any issues on telephone: 01249 823143.
Toilet locations are outlined below with accessible toilets (require a RADAR key):
St Leonard’s Place public toilets, St Leonard’s Place, Exhibition Square, York, YO1 7EW
Coppergate Shopping Centre public toilets, Coppergate, York, YO1 9NT
Nunnery Lane public toilets, Nunnery Lane car park, York, YO23 1AA
St George’s Field public toilets, St George’s Field car and coach Park, Castle Mills Bridge, York, YO10 4AB
Rougier Street public toilets, Rougier Street, York, YO1 6JB
Silver Street public toilets, Silver Street, York, YO1 8RY
Union Terrace public toilets, Union Terrace car and coach park, Clarence Street, York, YO31 7ES
We have first aid provision for the duration of the market. If you are in need of medical attention then please go to the information point or speak to a member of the festival staff / security.
City centre foot streets will be closed to vehicle access between 10.30am – 5.00pm for the duration of the market.
The nearest car park to the Festival is Coppergate Car Park (approx 120m)